My nephew, who is also a lung specialist now, graduated with a master’s degree, and works in Shenzhen Hospital, China. He is being transferred to study Wuhan pneumonia virus. He just called me and told me to tell all of my friends NOT TO WORRY MUCH ABOUT CORONA VIRUS :
If you have a runny nose and sputum when you have a cold, you cannot be a patient of coronavirus pneumonia, because coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough without runny nose. This is the simplest way to identify.
Please tell your friends that if you know more about medical knowledge about the Wuhan Virus, you will have more awareness of identification and prevention.
This time, the Wuhan virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed at a temperature of 30-35 degrees.
Therefore, drink more hot water. You can tell your friends and relatives to drink more hot water to prevent it. Go under the Sun for a long time. It has been cold season recently, and drinking hot water is also very comfortable. It is not a cure but is a good prevention for the body. Drinking warm water is effective for mostly all viruses. Try not to drink ice. remember that.
Doctor’s advice about coronavirus:
1. It is pretty large in size (cell is about 400-500nm diameter), so any normal mask (not just the N95 feature) should be able to filter it out. However, when someone who’s infected sneezes in front of you, it will take a great 3 meters (about 10 feet) before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
2. When the virus drops on metal surface, it will live for at least 12 hours.
So remember if you come in contact with any metal surface, wash your hands with soap thoroughly. Don’t depend on the sanitizers.
3. The virus can remain active on fabric for 6-12 hours.
Normal laundry detergent should kill the virus.
For winter clothing that does not require daily washing, you can put it out under the sun for 4 hours to kill the virus.
About the symptoms of the pneumonia caused by Coronavirus:
1. It will first infect the throat, so the throat will have the dry sore throat feeling which will last for 3 to 4 days
2. Then the virus will blend into the nasal fluid and drips into the trachea and enter the lungs, causing pneumonia. This process will take 5 to 6 days.
3. With pneumonia, comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You will feel like you are drowning in water. It’s important to seek immediate medical attention if you feel like this.
1. The most common way of getting infected is by touching things in public, so you must wash your hands frequently. The virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but a lot of damage can happen in those 5-10 mins (you may rub your eyes or pick your nose unwittingly).
2. Aside from washing your hands frequently, you can gargle with Betadine Sore Throat Gargle to eliminate or minimize the germs while they are still in your throat (before dripping down to your lungs).
Folks, take extra care and drink plenty of water.
© Dr Sunil Karkhanis, Lung Surgeon,
ex KEM Hospital, Mumbai.